Preventative Pet Care
The proactive approach to veterinary care.
Preventative care is a pet’s first line of defense against illness and injury. Annual exams allow us to prevent, diagnose and treat disease in its early stages, often before you notice any symptoms. Treatment is more effective when it starts earlier, so preventative care helps your pet live a long and healthy life with you.
Preventive Health Measures
- Annual Veterinary Exams: Glendale Animal Hospital’s comprehensive annual exams evaluate a variety of health areas including: temperature, eyes, ears, skin, coat, lung and chest health, internal health, oral hygiene and visual responsiveness.
- Vaccinations: Updated vaccinations and booster shots are the easiest and most effective way to prevent many common diseases and infections like distemper, rabies and parvo in dogs or panleukopenia, rabies and rhinotracheitis in cats.
- Dental Care: Your pet’s teeth and the health of their mouth can affect every aspect of their life. Annual teeth cleanings maintain and improve your pet’s well-being.
- Parasite Control: Preventing and eradicating parasites like fleas and ticks is easy when you administer anti-parasitic medication to your pet regularly.
- Pet Skin Treatment Services: Grooming and washing are key for maintaining proper pet hygiene. Skin and hair health prevents mange, matting, bacterial infections and more.
- Nutrition: Proper nutrition supports all of your pet’s bodily processes, bolstering their immune system and ensuring normal aging, growth and development.
- Behavioral Evaluation: Changes in mood or behavior are often symptoms of underlying medical conditions. Identifying these shifts helps us identify and treat the root cause.
While any medical treatment involves some degree of risk, in the case of vaccinations, the benefits far outweigh any potential side effects. Adverse reactions are rare and usually mild and short-term when they do occur.
It’s also important to note that even pets who live primarily indoors should be vaccinated, as they can still be exposed to a
Puppy & Kitten Care
The professionals at Glendale Animal Hospital understand how overwhelming becoming a new pet parent can be, and we are dedicated to partnering with you to ensure a long, happy, healthy life for your new baby. One look into those big doughy eyes will make you want to give your kitten or puppy the world, and you can get a good start with the gift of excellent health care by coming in for his or her first veterinary visit shortly after you bring him or her home.
For more information on Puppy & Kitten wellness and our Puppy & Kitten Wellness Plans, please visit our Puppy & Kitten Wellness Plan page.
Preventative care becomes more significant for aging pets. Glendale Animal Hospital recommends twice-yearly exams for elderly dogs and cats. As pets get older, they are prone to many age-related diseases that become increasingly difficult to diagnose and treat. To keep senior pets healthy and happy, we must adjust many preventative health measures to better suit their changing medical needs.
For more information on Senior Wellness see our Senior Wellness Care page.
Preventative Pet Care Near You
Taking care of your precious pet’s health starts with a thorough veterinary exam. To schedule an appointment for your pet, call us at 630-858-3530 or schedule online.